Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple Pie Weekend

This week my husband only had one day off, the owners of his hotel are on vacation, so he and the other managers are on their own. We spent that one day driving almost an hour to a nice apple orchard. There are certainly closer ones, but he likes to take adventures, and we love to go on drives to see some of the beautiful autumn foliage of New England. We decided to pick apples, a nice big bag worth. He loves to eat Golden Delicious apples, and I needed some assorted types for my mom's famous apple pie.


We could have got a mediocre selection from a local grocery store where they are on sale for $0.88 per pound in the little tote bags(where you can't see them all and they are generally tiny), but  instead we got to take our daughter to a lovely orchard, pick as a family, and just have a good stress free day.


My mom's apple pie is not by any means traditional. It contains a sweet sour cream filling, has a streusel topping and is absolutely scrumptious. My husband adores it and so do I. If it comes out right this year it will look similar to this one (which I found on google). My in laws are hesitant to eat it, they are afraid of almost everything that is not packaged, so I am not surprised. I love this pie, I grew up on it. I also love my momma's peach pie when it comes to summertime. I think it is good to have distinguishing family recipes, rather than having something similar to everyone else.


Typically for apple pie, I use a frozen crust, I know it's the easy way out, but I am a busy lady and I never really wanted to learn how to make a pie crust. I realized a few moments ago that I forgot to buy crust this week and my husband wants pie.. uh oh! We made our budget and forgot to include that, so now we have just a little bit left, and no money for pie crust. So, I am on my own to make a crust and get this pie made by tomorrow.


I have been searching online for a good pie crust, one that is absolutely simple. One that calls for margarine or vegetable shortening because I don't have any real butter in the house. I also don't have a rolling pin so I am either borrowing one or using a can and having funny rippled lines in the crust.


3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm apple pie sounds so good!


    I just found your blog through one of the Monday blog hops! Have a great week.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I modified the recipe, and it did not come out as good as usual. I guess my mommy's recipe was fine as is. I am now following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy I love apply pie

    I am a new follower by the way..

    http://dreasblog8685.blogspot.com/

    Looking forward 2 reading more of your blog
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete